I practice the following sports:
In junior high school, I was a member of the cross-country running team. I took up running again in my late 30s. My preferred distance is the marathon though I will run other distances as a tune-up / test to validate my training form.
I have a goal of running 60 marathons by the age of 60. My personal best in the marathon is 3:13:18, which I achieved at the 2014 New York City Marathon. (I was on pace for a 3:08 finishing time until the 30th kilometre.) I would like to run a marathon in 3:10 or less. I believe that with the right training I can get to a 3:00 marathon, but I will need to give up cycling for a time to do so.
I ran 27 marathons in my first 7 years and 1 month of running. My current training plan is available online.
- Personal best times as follows:
- Marathon: 3:13:18
- 30km: 2:22:33 (Hamilton (ON) Around The Bay Road Race)
- Ran a 2:13:38 at the New York City Marathon 2014
- Half-marathon: 1:32:21 (Scotiabank Montreal Half Marathon 2010)
- 15km: 1:08:22 : (Dallas Running Club Love The Loop 2016)
- 10km: 42:58 (during Chicago Marathon 2011)
- 5km: 20:33 (during Chicago Marathon 2011)
- Qualified for the Boston Marathon on 4 separate occasions; best finish is 12 minutes under qualifying time cut-off
- Ran the Boston Marathon in 2011 and 2015
- Ran 5 out of 6 World Marathon Majors (Boston, Chicago, New York, Berlin, Tokyo; only the London Marathon left to do)
- Ran 8 marathons in 12 months, qualifying me for membership in Marathon Maniacs
- Ran multiple half marathons and other distances
Growing up I would ride my bicycle everywhere. As an adult, I rode a mountain bike for commuting purposes only. In 2009, I acquired my first true road bike, a scandium Colnago. I purchased a 2nd road bike 18 months later, a carbon fibre Colnago.
I have participated in numerous road races, criteriums on a track, gran fondos, and sportives.
In my first 6 years of riding:
- 32,000+ / 20,000+ miles of riding
- Longest solo ride is 251km / 155 miles
- Longest ride (combo group and solo) is 356km / 221 miles in one day
- I rode 632km in a 48-hour period during a charity event
- I rode 522km in a 48-hour period during a charity event and then ran a 1:35:59 half-marathon the following weekend
- I took up racing and achieved a Category 4 racing license with USA Cycling
- Completed Pittsburgh Dirty Dozen cycling event 2 times officially and 3 times as a training event
- Completed Diabolical Double cycling event (200 km and 16,500 of elevation)
- Completed Vermont Six Gaps (aka Chet Warman Memorial Ride) on 2 occasions
My athlete profile is available on Strava. It covers running and cycling. A full list of accomplishments is available here.
I have completed a number of duathlons. I have also completed the running leg of a team triathlon. I would like to compete in a full Ironman distance triathlon.
- Cross-country skiing
Growing up I played / practiced the following sports / activities.
- Cross-country skiing
- Alpine skiing